Postgraduate Fellowship in Scientific Research of Modern Materials The Museum of Modern Art
The Museum of Modern Art is pleased to invite applications for a one year Fellowshipfor scientific research of modern materials with possible renewal for a second year. The fellowship will focus on analytical research pertinent to the characterization of twentieth century paint media. The fellowship is designed for Masters-level applicants who want to apply their skills and interests to museum scientific research.
Reporting to higher conservation titles and to the Chief Conservator, the fellow has the following specific responsibilities:
- Carries out GC-MS investigations of paint samples. Writes analytical reports focusing on medium analysis from works of art using GC-MS methods and FTIR spectroscopy. Creates a MS reference library of marker compounds for the characterization of paint medium. Reviews relevant separation science and vibrational spectroscopy literature.
- Assists with the archiving of samples and data
- Writes research reports on work done and collaborates on publications.
- Works with conservation staff on specific projects related to fellowship research
- Assists interns and staff scientists as assigned
- Adheres to the AIC Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
In addition to a relevant Master’s degree, candidates will also have knowledge of analytical methods applicable to the examination of painted surfaces. Experience in GC-MS and PY(Frontier Lab)-GC-MS protocols for the microanalysis of paint. Experience collecting and interpreting FTIR spectroscopy data from paint samples and XRF and or SEM-EDS for the elemental characterization of inorganic components.Some knowledge of historic (20th C) commercial paint formulation is helpful.
The salary is $44,000 per year with benefits. Application period closes September 27. Anticipated start date is early 2014. Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the position title in the subject line.
Location: MOma - Museum of Modern Art, 11 W 53rd Street, New York, NY 10019, Stati Uniti
Sito internet: www.moma.org/about/jobs